Monday, June 7, 2010

Recommended Summer Reading - Julie Babcock

During the month of June, No Tells is featuring "Recommended Summer Reading" selections by No Tell contributors.


Julie Babcock's recommendations:

The Best of (What’s Left of) Heaven by MairĂ©ad Byrne (Publishing Genius)
When you want to laugh and cry at the same time pick up a copy of this wonderful book just out from Publishing Genius. This is poetry for the people. People who have everyday lives filled with couches and dentists but are still able to see miracles of beauty and joy.

Noose and Hook by Lynn Emanuel (Pitt Poetry Series)
This is on the top of my reading list. What a title and what a cover! Check out those mean dog teeth! I’ve been a fan of Lynn Emanuel’s poetry since Hotel Fiesta and The Dig. Her poetry is tough women lighting firecrackers all over the page.

The Difficult Farm by Heather Christle (Octopus Books)
2009 flashback! I was turned on to this book through No Tell’s December recommendations and was delighted by its strangeness. Thanks to all who recommended it in 2009. May The Difficult Farm grow and prosper.

* * *

Julie Babcock’s poetry and fiction have recently appeared in PANK, Corium, No Tell Motel, Necessary Fiction, and elsewhere. She is a lecturer at University of Michigan.

1 comment:

Jessy Randall said...

I heartily second the recommendation of Mairead Byrne's The Best of (What's Left of) Heaven. I haven't liked a poetry book this much in years.

I'm trying to figure out why I ordered it, and I was thinking maybe because of the No Tell end-of-year lists, but I can't find it there. So now it's driving me crazy, not knowing whom to thank for the suggestion.